3/7/08

Martinez has a changeup too

We've all heard the talk and seen the dissection of Johan Santana's changeup, so some might forget that Pedro Martinez has one too.

From Ben Shpigel:
Martínez said he was pleased with his changeup and fastball, although his curveball needed refining. His body, he said, felt “sluggish” because he was not used to pitching so early in the morning. But his arm felt good, and so did the rest of him, he said.

----

“As far as my health and my pitches, I’m right there, I’m right there,” Martínez said. “I’m making pitches and I’m getting the amount of pitches that I need.”
If Pedro thinks he's "there," I'll take his word for it.
The Mets need Martinez to put together a nice string of starts, eating some innings and keeping games within reach, which I believe he is perfectly capable of. The team no longer needs the dominant, shut down pitcher he once was, but a crafty guy, a la Tom Glavine.