3/29/08

A song tribute to Ruben Gotay

Someone going by the name "The Gato" posted this in the comments for Gotay claimed by Braves, sung to the tune of Don McLean's hit "American Pie."
A long, long time ago…
I can still remember How Ho-Jo used to make me smile.
And I knew if he had his chance
Jose Reyes could make those people dance
And, maybe, they'd be happy for a while.
But march made me shiver With every trade Omar deliver.
Bad news on the doorstep;Gotay couldn't take one more step.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard about the waiver wire,
But something touched me deep inside
The day the Ruben Gotay died.
Hilarious. Becoming a Brave is equal to passing on for Mets fans. The phrase "You're dead to me," comes to mind.

I have never heard of such a public outcry over losing a backup infielder. He was obviously a fan favorite and it stings that much more that he went to a hated rival in the Mets division.