3/14/08

Schneider's hamstring

Brian Schneider has only five at-bats this season. On one of them, he took deep to right field for a home run. His right hamstring is still a bother, and will keep him out of yet another game today against the Marlins.

Jeremy Cothran updates us on his NJ.com blog:
The catcher insists he will be ready for Opening Day. He's still able to catch bullpens and take batting practice, but hasn't been able to run without pain.
"I don't see myself missing anytime in the regular season," Schneider said. "But it's something I don't know about. I mean, that's why I'm trying to take it as slow as possible right now, because we can. But at the same time, I want to get back there and start catching, taking some ABs and seeing some pitches."
Luckily, he has been able to catch some pitchers in the bullpen to work up some camaraderie between the battery. The Mets brought him in to be a great defensive catcher and call a game from behind the plate, and so far he hasn't been able to show the team anything so far this spring.

He's a smart man, so he should be able to pick up on things that he has only seen a few times. I think he's a perfect fit for the Mets, and as long as he can get healthy and stay healthy, he will be a great addition and greatly help out the pitching staff.