3/24/08

The Traded Twins: Gomez wins CF job

We'll keep tabs on the Mets prospects that were traded away for Johan Santana every once in a while.

Carlos Gomez has won the starting center fielders job for the Minnesota Twins, as Denard Span and Jason Pridie, Gomez's main competition, were sent down to minor league camp.

Gomez is batting .286, with 1 home run, 6 RBI, and 10 steals this spring.

Good luck to Gomez, and I am glad he is out of our league. I think he'll be a pretty good player one day, and I'm just happy as long as he's not on the Mets, he's far, far away. Ten steals is spectacular.

When I watched him against the Yankees this spring, he didn't look too hot in center. He made two pretty miserable throws, trying to gun someone out at the plate. His first throw was air-mailed to the backstop and his other went halfway up the first base line.

Obviously, he's performed well enough to win the job, so he must have been doing some things right when I wasn't watching.