4/18/08

After all that, it wasn't even the longest game in the majors

Usually, when you play 14 innings, you're the longest game in the majors. Not so last night, as the San Diego Padres and the Colorado Rockies played 2 1/2 games. It lasted 22 innings, and ended around 4:30 a.m. eastern time.

Crazy.

Anyway, there's really no rhyme or reason to this post other than to express my love for extra inning affairs. I love the drama and do-or-die of the extras. Granted, I do only like the games where the Mets come out on top, and when they don't, extra innings stink.

Last night's game ended just before 12:00 a.m., and I am lucky enough to have been in Shea much later. Last year, when Jorge Sosa took on the Chicago Cubs after a three hour rain delay, I was in Shea Stadium until past 12:30 a.m. I thought that was a pretty cool tidbit.

Also, Citi Group, obviously the business that owns the naming rights to Citi Field, just posted a $5.1 billion loss in the first quarter.

Wow. Maybe this opens up a chance for Met Life to steal the rights.