5/23/08

Justified

If you were unlucky enough to catch a millisecond of the four game series in Atlanta this week, I hope you now realize how lost and confused this team looks.

Everyone and their mother wants David Wright to stand up and be the leader we all know he can. He's trying, you can tell, but he's still too young to truly step into the role. For now, the Mets are relying on Willie Randolph to steer this team in the right direction.

After the sweep in Turner Field, I think people, even the most die hard Randolph lovers, have begun to realize the team needs a change.

The sweep has shown me one thing: The Wilpons and Omar Minaya are completely and utterly justified to fire Willie as soon as possible.

Are we all in agreement now?

If not, you must be Randolph's wife, daughter, family member or accountant.

That leads me to the all important question of who is next.

Honestly, I don't have a person who I'd want to take a chance on 100 percent. Wally Backman might be nice, as would Bob Brenley, I feel. There is no clear cut leader in the race to replace Willie, which makes the idea of firing him that much more dangerous.

Jerry Manuel might be the best fit, at least for now, but he reminds me too much of the current fearless leader.

All we know for certain is the Mets are in trouble.