5/20/08

My childhood hero retires

That's right. As I am sure you all have heard by now, Mr. Mike Piazza has hung up his cleats after 19 years in pro ball.

From Piazza:
I'd like to thank Fred Wilpon, Nelson Doubleday and the New York Mets organization for giving me an opportunity to fulfill yet another dream, playing in a World Series. Steve Phillips, for not just bringing me to New York, but for having the confidence and vision to keep me in a Met uniform long-term. Within the eight years I spent in New York, I was able to take a different look at the game of baseball ... I wasn't just a young kid that was wet behind the ears anymore -- I was learning from other veteran guys like Johnny Franco, who taught me how to deal with the pressures of playing in New York and Al Leiter who knew what it took to win a World Championship. That knowledge is what helped me play for as long as I have and enjoy the career that I had. I'd like to thank New York Mets clubhouse manager, Charlie Samuels for always being on the same page and one step ahead of me.
Steve Phillips should never be thanked.

We love you Mike, please come back to the Mets in any way as soon as possible. You were always more than just a great player.