5/6/08

Stop blaming Willie and take a look at yourselves

A lot of people are getting very sick of Willie Randolph. That's understandable, as the very expensive Mets are only two games over .500. Here's my issue: I've never seen more fickle fans.

Sunday night and into Monday morning, Mets fans were riding high after taking two of three from the NL leading Diamondbacks. Emotions quickly turned as the Mets dropped the first game against the Dodgers Monday night.

One day he's doing everything right, the next he's in the doghouse again. Make up your minds!

I don't want to come across as some sort of Willie apologist, and I truly understand he is pretty awful at managing a bullpen. People were complaining last night that Randolph used three pitchers in the game. It's not his fault that Oliver Perez threw 95 pitches through six innings and gave up three long balls.

Do you want to keep the game close and have a few pitchers throw or tax a pitcher and have him stay in a game he's already performed poorly in?

Fans just can't seem to make up their minds, as usual. Again, sorry if I sound brash, but it's really just getting silly at this point. Do you want him to stick with a pitcher or have them try and win the game?

Randolph has quickly become the scapegoat, though Rick Peterson is not far behind. I know fans are passionate, because I am one, but until the team starts to tank, could you hold off for a bit? Again, they just took two of three from Arizona. Remember? It wasn't that long ago!!

Give him, and me, a break.