6/23/08

Early Morning Madness: Injuries edition

Luis Castillo might be heading to the disabled list.

Castillo injured his left quad a few days ago and Damion Easley has been starting in his place. If Castillo was to go on the DL, do the Mets really call up AAA second baseman Anderson Hernandez?

Sure, he's got a glove, but the kid just can't hit a lick. He's batting a miserable .185. And looking even lower to Binghamton, Emmanuel Garcia is hitting a cool .225 and Jonathan Malo is stroking a tepid .233 in limited time.

So second base is practically depleted for the Mets and the current starter is signed to a four year contract and is slow, injured, and slaps at everything. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a trade.
** * **

Ryan Church could be back by next weekend, and I couldn't be happier.

I'm assuming once Church is ready to go again, we've seen the end of Trot Nixon, but as much as I thought I'd love Nixon, his .167 average just isn't cutting it for me.

If Church can come back, even at 80 percent, he'll be a huge addition to this club. Church hasn't played since June 5th, and since that time the Mets have gone 7-9. They're really missing his bat in the lineup, as the offense usually goes flat past the 4th inning.

I miss this guy and so do the Mets.
** * **

Things are lining up in Yankee-ville that the Mets will probably face newly acquired Sidney Ponson during their series at Shea Stadium (and Yankee Stadium) this weekend.

Stay sober, Sidney.