7/28/08

New York Mets rumors for the deadline

One of my good buddies and fellow bloggers, Will Sommer recently conducted an interview with Tim Dierkes of MLBTradeRumors.com. Here are the highlights:

WS: How hard are the Mets looking for a corner outfielder? / How much would the Mets have to give up?

TD: It seems to be their top priority. They are trying to get someone
decent without giving up Fernando Martinez, Jon Niese, or Bobby Parnell.
The Mariners want Niese for Raul Ibanez though. I don't think they'll do that.
---
WS: If you were Omar Minaya would you trade Fernando Martinez for any of
the available corner outfielders?

TD: If I could get Jason Bay straight up for him, I'd think about that one for a while.

I don't see the Mets parting with any of that young talent unless they can land a star. Not happening.

And F-Mart for Bay, straight up is a quandary. I would probably pull the trigger, but that's because F-Mart has struggled with injuries lately and that worries me. You'd be swapping a Mets prospect for an ex-Mets prospect, so maybe in 10 years the team could trade for F-Mart again.