8/6/08

Looking ahead: There will be a battle for Mark Teixeira

Mark Teixeira will be a free agent this offseason. He is seeking a 10-year deal, worth approximately $20 million per year. The only teams I could think that would be able to afford him are based in Boston and New York.

According to the LA Times, one of Teixeira's favorite cities to play is NY:

Heard Mark Teixeira say his three favorite places to play are New York, Seattle and Anaheim.

Is it safe to assume he will sign next year with New York, Seattle or the Angels?"

I said my three favorite stadiums are in those places," Teixeira said.

"So it just comes down to money and who pays you the most, and that's where you will play next year?" I said.

Teixeira was taken aback. "Am I on 'Candid Camera'?"
Depending on whether or not the Mets want to pick up the option on Carlos Delgado, I can see both the Mets and the Yankees getting into a bidding war for their new first baseman.

Delgado can be bought out for $4 million, instead of picking up his $12 million mutual contract. If Delgado can keep up what he's done the last few months, I'm all for him playing at Citi Field next year.

If he declines, and goes back to what he had been playing like for the last year and a half, I'd be more than happy to purchase a Teixeira jersey.