9/21/08

With Pedro stinking up the joint, who can pitch in his spot? (If needed)

Simple: Jon Niese.

John Harper, in the Daily News, relays a few tidbits about Pedro Martinez and his willingness to help the team in any way he can.
"In a short series you've gotta go with the hot hand," he said. "I'll do anything to help the team. Starting or relieving, I'll do anything I can to help."
---
"If I'm healthy I'll try again next year," he said. "But first I'll go home and get everything out of my mind, and then see."
If Pedro doesn't feel right, and after last night it seems that way, it might be time to turn to Niese. Even in a playoff situation, I trust him over anyone else.

Brandon Knight seems only capable of throwing three innings of good baseball, and usually scrapes through the rest. Nelson Figueroa hasn't been stretched out enough to throw more than two innings. Aaron Heilman...no comment.

Niese, though a rookie, turned in a spectacular performance against the Braves last time out. Eight innings, no runs, and only allowing six hits. He also struck out seven.

I respect Pedro a lot for coming out and saying this. He's a veteran and he's not out for himself. He just wants to see the team win, any way it can happen. Good guy.

Take a chance, Mets. Maybe you can really catch lightning in a bottle with Niese.