10/22/08

World Series predicition time

Everyone know I've been pulling for the Rays (even if I didn't pick them to make it through the ALCS). Everyone also knows how much I despise the Phillies. Still, here is my completely unbiased World Series prediction.

Rays in seven.

For one, I think the six day layoff is going to hurt the Phillies. They were running on some great momentum from the end of the regular season, then against the Brewers and the Dodgers. This near-week break period will not be beneficial.

Also, I don't think the Phillies have great pitching. Yes, they have Cole Hamels, and he's the main reason the Phillies are going to string this out to seven games, but Brett Myers and Joe Blanton are bound to get beat up, and the Rays have the offense to make that happen.

The bullpen will be the main problem for the Rays. They need their young rotation to go deep into games, and hope their offense comes along for the ride, too. The "bullpen by committee" thing can only work so many times (we all saw it not work in Game 5).

I think the Rays will lose Game One, win the next two, lose the fourth and fifth, and then win two in a row to take it. That will be an exciting series, eh?

So, once more: Go Rays!

(I must say, I absolutely love the 2008 World Series logo. It's awesome.)