12/26/08

Will Omar finally get Sammy Sosa?

Sammy Sosa has long been on Omar Minaya's wish list. Two years out of baseball, Sosa claims he's ready to play. Will Omar finally get his wish and bring Sammy to the Mets?

I sure hope not.

Sosa is still all about him. Instead of getting proactive and marketing himself for teams, he claims "I still don't have an offer, and I shouldn't be looking for offers out there. Any team who wants to sign me should have the initiative and make an offer." At least he's confident?

Though, with Fernando Tatis and Daniel Murphy looking to split time in left field, the Mets may be a bit under the average if one, or both, fail to perform. I doubt this happens, but I could see reason enough for Omar to bring Sammy into spring training, at the very least as a favor to his fellow Dominican.

Sosa, now 40 years old, will play in the World Baseball Classic for the Domincan Republic beginning in March.