2/25/09

What's with all the love for Fernando Tatis?

I understand the Mets found a diamond in the rough last year with Fernando Tatis. I understand he was pretty much everything you can ask for, and much, much more for the team in 2008. But does anyone really have faith in this guy, again?

I was sour on Tatis all last season, bemoaning the signing, complaining when he was having visa troubles and downright mad when they were testing him at first base last year. When he finally got called up to the Mets on May 13, he spent the rest of the season proving me wrong.

Last night, I was lying in bed thinking about Tatis (weird, I know) and how he slumped in the second half. Boy, was I wrong.

In the second half of last year, Tatis actually hit nine points higher (.292 to .301), his OBP was 79 points higher (.323 to .402), and his slugging percentage was 90 points higher (.433 to .523).

I don't know what Tatis I was thinking about last night, but I was apparently way off.

Still, whatever Tatis did last season, I don't trust him for it again.

I think there's too much put into the stock of Fernando Tatis, exemplified in this tidbit from Ben Shpigel:
Manager Jerry Manuel plans to use Tatis in an expanded role this season, spreading him among the corner infield and outfield positions, as he ponders various and sometimes bold ways to slot Tatis’s potent right-handed bat into the order.
Is it just me? Probably. Am I hoping that doubting him through spring training will somehow make him play like 2008? A little.

Prove me wrong, Tatis.