3/18/09

My WBC experience

Let me just explain to you how I experienced the 9th inning of last night's World Baseball Classic game between USA and Puerto Rico...

First of all, I don't get the MLB Network at school, because it's only on digital cable. The school has promised us HBO and other assorted digital channels in the past, but so far we've received zilch. So I'm stuck watching MLB Gameday and relying on instant messages from Ryan Punzalan of Retire31.com.

Then, while I'm "watching" the 9th inning, my girlfriend gets back to school from a media conference, and I've only seen her for three hours in the past 12 days. Obviously, I better get a move on or I'll be in big trouble, so I unplug my laptop and trek up to her car.

The internet cuts out as Kevin Youklis comes to the plate. Now I'm in my girlfriends car as we drive the 300 feet to the parking lot closer to her dorm (she needed someone to help unpack the massive amounts of clothes she brought bacak). Still no internet.

We park, and here I am, sitting in her car, laptop propped open on my lap, verbally begging the internet to connect so I can find out what happened/is happening.

"You are now wirelessly connected to BobcatNet"

Yes! Refresh MLB Gameday...Sign into AIM...
Me (11:02:11 PM): score?
Ryan (11:02:20 PM): 5-4
Ryan (11:02:24 PM): bases loaded
Ryan (11:02:30 PM): 2-1
Ryan (11:02:51 PM): YES
Ryan (11:02:54 PM): USA WINS
Me (11:02:57 PM): ????
Ryan (11:03:03 PM): DAVID WRIGHT WALK OFF SINGLE
Me (11:03:11 PM): LOVE HIM
Ryan (11:03:15 PM): DAVID WRIGHT IS EPIC
And that's how I watched the WBC.