7/13/09

Is Tony Clark an option?

Ex-Met Tony Clark was released by the Arizona Diamondbacks after a dreadful first half to the season.  The 37-year-old was hitting just .180 with a .301 OBP (which is exactly what Omir Santos’ OBP is).

Clark has four home runs and 11 RBI in 73 plate appearances in 34 games.  In 20 of those games, Clark has appeared at first base, starting only 13 of them.

Is there a place for Clark on the Mets?

The aging first baseman would take time away from Daniel Murphy or Fernando Tatis.  Murphy’s OBP is only a mere .312, which is pretty awful considering he has 265 plate appearances under his belt.  Clark’s average is much lower, but I’m willing to look beyond that and at his .301 OBP.  That’s more telling.

I wouldn’t mind the team taking a chance on Clark.  He’s not a perfect fit but he might be someone they could add to try and catch lightning in a bottle. 

If he’s willing to accept a demotion to the minor leagues, I’d really love to see him at Triple-A Buffalo playing some first base but also coaching and mentoring the players there.  They obviously need a little help.

If I was Omar Minaya, I would at least look into it.  I’m not saying I’d love Clark on the Mets right now, but trying to add a little something here or there might be the trick to keeping this ship above water just long enough for the regulars to come back.