9/10/09

Strange names abound for the Mets and their affiliates [Updated]

This morning, Joe Budd over at Amazin’ Avenue  (one of my favorite Mets sites), wrote this “Where did Kirk Nieuwenhuis come from? If I thought it was hard to learn how to spell Francoeur, it's going to be a nightmare season if Nieuwenhuis becomes something.”

Which got me thinking about weird names.  And off the top of my head, I could think of a few strangely named Mets players (at the major and minor league level).  Here’s a rough list…

Mets

Jeff Francoeur – OF -  I know his family is French, but I’m just not used to the combination of “c-o-e-u-r” and don’t think I ever will be.  I always think I spell his name wrong.

Omir Santos – C - “Omar” would be one thing.  “Omir” is something different.  Only 208 people pop up with the name Omir on Facebook.

Tobi Stoner – P - I mean…come on!

Bisons

Ricky Bones – Coach – This guy?

Derrick Ellison – P – There are too many letters in the “Derek.”

Chip Ambres – OF – Anyone (nick)named “Chip” must have been mocked in middle school.

B-Mets

Mako Oliveras – Manager – What is he, a shark?

Emary Frederick – P – Um…Emary?  I don’t even know where that comes from.  Heck, he’s from Florida!

John Madden – P – BOOM! FOOTBALL!

German Marte – P – Have you met his brother, Polish?  They used to not get along, but now they’re OK.

Jenrry Mejia – P – But hey, he’s good.

Elvys Quezada – P – Was he named for The King?

Kirk Nieuwenhuis – OF – Is that “new-when-house” or…um…something?

St. Lucie

Tim Teufel – Manager – I always found this name funny.  Like he’s a character on a children’s show or something.

Reese Havens – IF – Yum.

Brahiam Maldonado – OF – I will name my first child Brahiam.  Just don’t tell my future wife.

Sand Gnats

Jimmy Johnson – P – Nice hair.

Jean Luc Blaquiere – C – Oui oui!

Imbewer Alvarez – IF – I’ve got nothing here.  I’ve never seen this name before.  Ever.

Cyclones

Dock Doyle – C – Awesome name.

Jordany Valdespin – IF – I’m going to go by “Andrewy” from now on.  Just add a “y” to your name and you can be equally cool.

Kingsport

Yohan Almonte – P – If he ends up half as good as Johan, I’ll be happy.

Guillaume Leduc – P – Another name I can’t pronounce.  Is that “Gee-yam-me”?

GCL

ZeErika Hall – OF – I knew he existed, but I just couldn’t find him on any of the rosters.  He was drafted this year.  And he may have the greatest name of them all.  (H/T to Ted Berg, a.k.a. OGTedBerg) – Update: Further investigations finds him on the roster of the Gulf Coast League affiliate.

Jeurys Familia – P – Sounds like a really bad television show on Univision.  And let me tell you, there is some quality programming on that channel.

Lachlan Hodge – P – Lachlan spends his free time hunting kangaroos in the brush down under.

Jimber Mueses – P – My goodness.  This GCL team might beat out the B-Mets for greatest names.

Nelfi Zapata – C – Anyone named Nelfi is OK in my book.

Aderlin Rodriguez – IF – Aderlin!  Aderlin!  Aderlin!

Wilfredo Tovar – IF – By far my favorite name.

Ray Van Gurp – IF – No, this is my favorite.

Marinus Vernooij – IF – Actually, it’s this one.

There were a few others along the way that I snickered at, but didn’t think belonged on the list.  Did I miss anyone?  How about some historic silly Mets names?  Let’s hear them in the comments.