3/21/10

Adam Rubin leaving the Daily News

Adam Rubin appeared on WFAN with Tony Paige last night and at the end of the interview, he revealed that today is his last day with the newspaper.

Rubin denied to reveal where he was heading, but he will not be leaving New York, or even the Mets beat.

Here’s what Rubin had to say (starts around 10:40)…Omar Minaya almost popped some bubbly...

“Tomorrow is my last day at the Daily News, but I’m still going to be covering the Mets.  I don’t think I’m exactly supposed to say what yet, so hopefully people just hold tight and it will come out soon, I guess.

But I really just want to say about the Daily News that I thoroughly enjoyed the last almost 10 years there including seven-plus seasons as the beat writer.

They stood behind me last year when everything happened with Omar.  they were tremendous to me then.  And just bringing me to New York.  i grew up on Long Island but I was in Birmingham, Al. to cover White Sox Double-A baseball.

For them to show the faith to bring me to New York in the first place, I’m always going to be thankful.”

As to where Rubin is going, Tom Pich from Mets Guide posted to Twitter last night that he was “shocked that Adam Rubin is leaving the Daily News for ESPN.”

Update – 10:55 a.m.: Pich spoke to Rubin who confirms he is heading to ESPNNewYork.com and will start in two weeks.

This makes sense because ESPNNewYork.com, the latest in local ESPN web sites, is just about to launch, but there’s no confirmation of that yet.

The Daily News will miss Rubin, but I guess this means we’re about to welcome a new beat writer onto the Mets beat.