3/27/10

Jose Reyes, Opening Day and why it doesn’t matter

“Each day as the Mets move closer to the beginning of their season, the farther Jose Reyes seems to be from playing on Opening Day.”

-Marty Noble

Frankly, I don’t care if Reyes plays on April 5 or not.  If it takes him an extra week or two to recover from his fortnight off, get his swing back and get back into baseball shape, so be it.

If Alex Cora is starting on Opening Day, I’ll be mildly disappointed, but it won’t be the end of the world.  I’d rather Reyes, and the Mets medical staff for that matter, use extreme caution in working back into baseball shape.  Yes, they have to worry about the thyroid, but I’m more worried about his hamstring.  Let him slowly come back to baseball even if it means missing Opening Day.

And yes, Mets fans, you’ll just have to deal with it.  Wouldn’t you rather 150 solid games out of Reyes instead of hurrying to get back in time for Opening Day and risking injury or ignoring his health issues?  I would.

So take your time, Jose.  Don’t worry if you’re not ready for Opening Day.  In fact, I hope you miss it just to make sure you’re all right.