4/26/10

Mets runs by inning [Graph]

Lately, it seems the Mets have a hard time scoring runs early in the game.  Only around the sixth or seventh do the bats come out and start hitting and the runs start scoring.

I thought it was just one of those weird quirks that I made up in my head to keep me hopeful (“Don’t worry, they’ll score next inning!”), but I took a look at the data, and this is what I found…Mets runs by inningThe Mets do score more runs in the sixth, seventh and eighth as opposed to the rest of the lineup.  Why they do this is another post entirely.  Is it the fact that the bullpens they’re facing are weaker than the starter or do the bats just take a while to heat up?

That’s for someone else to figure out.

But for now, if the Mets are down early, we know that at least through the first 19 games, there’s hope in the later innings.

Stats via Baseball-Reference.