5/11/10

The curious case of the five baseball cards

The cards in questionOn Saturday, I moved back in with my parents as my four years of college came to an end.  They were returning from Virginia late Saturday night as well.  My mother stopped the mail for that week, so when she went to get it at the post office yesterday, she came back with a small package for me.

In a small manila envelope, addressed to me, were five brand new New York Mets baseball cards in plastic protective sleeves.  Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran, David Wright, Francisco Rodriguez and Johan Santana.   Alan?

Pretty cool, right?

One problem: I don’t know who they’re from or why I got them.

The package is from an Alan Duda from Rhode Island.  I think I found him on Facebook, but I can’t be sure. 

But why am I getting these?  How does he know my address?  Why these five cards?

The strangest thing about it is that they came alone.  There was no letter, no note, no nothing.  Just five cards in a small envelope.

Am I supposed to sign them and send them back?  If so, is this the first time a Mets blogger had been asked for his or her autograph?

My best guess for my address is that he got it off my resume, which I have linked above.  But why me?  Why these five cards?  Why no note?

I’ve reached out to Alan to ask for an explanation, but am yet to hear a response.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining.  I already have the five cards set up in my room.  Just found it a little odd.

Has this happened to anyone else?  Is Alan on a mass mailing campaign to spread Mets cards to other fans?  The mystery is yet to be solved…

Either way, thanks!