5/2/10

Earth-shaking revelations from Daily News article

OK, not really.

I know I’m a day late on this, but if you missed it too, click here to read “Daily News reporter taunts Phillies fans with Mets win at Citzens Bank Park.”

Huge shocker, I know!

"These New Yorkers never shut up!" Fratelli whined. When a Phillies security guard wearing a Phillies World Series Ring took a half swing at me mid-Mets chant, I knew this was truly hostile territory.

"I'm not protecting you as long as you have that jersey on," he said. Once I took my seat, Phils fans seemed to lose their mojo as the Mets piled on run after run.

I have two qualms with this story.

One, the sky is blue, the grass is green and the sun will come up every day.  I would like to thank Captain Obvious Kevin Deutsch for allowing us to see into the super-secretive world of the Mets/Phillies rivalry.  Without this intrepid reporting, I would have never known there was bad blood between the teams and their fans.  Thank goodness!

And two, what happened to journalists not becoming part of the story.  I realize this is an opinion piece, but still.  It’s like setting a fire to a house, then reporting on it as if you were first on the scene.  Tsk tsk.