2/27/12

The Mets have 'Underdog' shirts from Jeff Wilpon

Mets players were given orange t-shirts with the Underdog "U" on the front by Jeff Wilpon. Fans are, as expected, polarized on the topic.

I like it. I get the idea behind it, and the motivational tone to it. A lot of people are writing the team off this year - no real shocker there - so why not use the underdog idea as a rallying cry? Works for me.

Others, though, are probably put off by the fact that a Wilpon made this gesture. If Terry Collins, or even a player, had thought of this or made these shirts, it might have meant a little more to everyone and maybe taken a bit of the sting out of the shirt. But because Jeff Wilpon was behind it, it must be evil and mean and angry! Grr!

Look, I get the Wilpons aren't great with their money and have put the team in quite the precarious situation, but it's another thing entirely to think they want the team to lose, or don't want what's best for them. As I wrote a while ago, this is not Major League.

The Wilpons want the Mets to do as well as any fan does. In fact, probably more so. Everyone wants the Mets to win. If they have to wear pink tutus to do it, so be it. These Underdog shirts shouldn't be an issue and we shouldn't make it one, but the simple fact that I'm having to write about it shows that I'm too late for that.

Here's some fan reactions...