4/16/08

Man falls to death off Shea Stadium escalator

According to reports, Antonio Nararainsami, 36, of Brooklyn, NY, fell to his death Tuesday when he lost his balance on an escalator and fell two stories to the concrete floor.

Nararainsami, a Guyanese native, was attending the game with his family, which included his two daughters. The escalator he was on was not in motion.

I attended last nights game, and I am very frightened of heights, and as I walked down the escalator, which wasn't moving, my friend asked me what I was afraid of. I told him I was afraid of falling. This had to have happened during the seventh or eighth innings because we heard tons of sirens into the ninth and as we processed out.

My thoughts go out to Nararainsami's family.

Update: From Newsday:
Police sources said Wednesday that the man may have been "surfing" or "sliding" on the railing of the escalator when he fell.

---

But a police source told Newsday "there were some reports he was surfing down the railing . . . Witnesses said he had jumped on the rubber railing . . . and he was sliding down when he lost his balance."