7/11/08

Early Morning Madness: Sweeeeeeeeeeeep edition

How great does it feel to sweep a team? I know all my Mets friends have been saying all season "The team really needs to put together a five or six game win streak before I start to believe."

Well, ya gotta believe now!

The Mets are looking hot, with players picking each other up. John Maine only lasted 4 2-3 of an inning, but the bullpen came on and threw 4 1-3 innings of one hit baseball.

The only thing I'm worried about is if this team really gets on a roll, say either sweeping or taking two of three from Colorado, they're going to stall with these three games off for the All Star break. It would be terrible if just when the team starts to get hot, they fizzle out from their extended break.
** * **

Is it F-Mart time?

Fernando Martinez is playing baseball again, so is it time to give the kid a shot at the major leagues with the injury to Moises Alou? I'm not too sure the Mets want to rush another outfielder, a la Carlos Gomez.

It'd be great to get the kid up and see what he can do. I mean, heck, if Nick Evans is "ready" to come up and play, why not Martinez? He's been injured often in the minors, and is recently coming back from a hamstring injury. You don't want to bring up a young kid who is used to playing every day and plop him on the bench to play every few days.

It's plausible, but I doubt it will happen.
** * **

Argenis Reyes is looking good. He's batting .308 in seven games so far, going 4-13, scoring three times and driving in one run.

Under the new "Jerry Manuel play well and you'll get playing time" system, Reyes should continue to see time at second, spelling a 38 year old Damion Easley.

As I said on Mets Lounge: As much, or more, than everyone else here, I want this kid to be great. But let's slow down a bit before we make any rash judgments.

I'm on Team Argenis right now...but he has to keep his play up to par before I'm ready to anoint him the second coming.

(get it...second coming...second base?)