7/4/08

Jose Reyes and Keith Hernandez nearly come to blows on team plane

According to the NY Post, Jose Reyes and Keith Hernandez had to be separated while on the team plane.

From the Post:
Reyes said yesterday he was angry at Hernandez after numerous friends and relatives told him Hernandez accused the Mets of "babying" Reyes during the broadcast of Sunday's 3-1 win over the Yankees at Shea Stadium.

"He got his point [across] and I got mine," Reyes, when asked to describe the confrontation, told The Post before he drove in three runs in the Mets' 11-1 victory over the Cardinals last night. "I'm not too happy with the way he's been talking."

The article also goes on to say:

Reyes and Hernandez emphatically denied they nearly came to blows, with Hernandez insisting testily that it be described as "a conversation" instead.

"I wouldn't say 'confronted,' " Hernandez said brusquely when approached in the team's broadcast booth at Busch Stadium last night. "We had a conversation. 'Confront' is not the word."

As strange as this whole story is, I can't get over how funny this must have been. In my wildest dreams I cannot picture this happening.

Hopefully everything works out, because Hernandez is a historic part of this organization and Reyes, hopefully, will be a cornerstone of this franchise for years to come.

Here comes the flood of comments about how "immature" Reyes is. A few days ago, I called his tantrum on the field immature, now, I'm not so sure. I think Reyes wants to step away from that image, and I can't think of anything more "manly" than a fight. Sure, that sounds super macho and testosterone driven, but it rings true.

Reyes is a fighter. And that's a good thing. Too bad he was fighting the immortal Keith Hernandez.

Still, color me skeptical. I'd like to see this one reported elsewhere before I fully believe it.

The Mets always make it interesting.

[Thanks Ian, from Sox & Dawgs]