2/27/08

Pelfrey looks good in limited role

Mike Pelfrey started today against the Detroit Tigers, and what is pretty much their opening day line-up, pitching 2 scoreless innings.

Pelf gave up only one hit, an infield single to Magglio Ordonez, and struck out one batter.

David Lennon relays a quote from Pelfrey:
"I want to be on this team and I want to help them," Pelfrey said a few minutes ago in the empty visitors clubhouse. "Worse comes to worse, I think I’ll just try to make their decision difficult. I think the chances of the whole staff going the whole year without something happening is slim. If I don’t get out of spring training, then some time during the year I’ll get my opportunity. I look at it as there’s no way I can be mad. They’ve given me opportunities, I just haven’t taken advantage of them and that’s the bottom line."
The Mets got a run from a Ramon Castro sac-fly and an Anderson Machado triple drove another run in.

The Tigers are leading 4-2 in the bottom of the 8th inning.

You can't put much stock into what goes on in these early games, but it's still nice to see a good, short outing against a major league opening day lineup.

I like Pelfrey's attitude here, he knows he has a chance, and he's going to try his hardest to make the team out of ST. If not, he's willing to work down in AAA until his chance comes along. Great stuff.