3/10/08

Beltran weary of running

Carlos Beltran made his first appearance of spring today when he served as the designated hitter against the Boston Red Sox.

Beltran is still far from 100%, and is nowhere near ready to play in the outfield.

David Lennon relays a quote from Beltran:
"I felt a little weird being out there for the first time," Beltran said. As for his biggest concern about returning to the outfield, he added, "Just running. Every time I've got to run for the ball, and I've got to stop and turn, I don't feel confident right now. I can do it in practice, but in a game, you just react, and I don't feel confident."
Beltran claims he will be ready be opening day, but does that mean 100%? Hopefully Beltran can get some games in center before the season breaks, just to see if he really is capable of patrolling the grass at Shea.