3/10/08

Yankees sign Billy Crystal

According to Scott Proctor's Arm, the Yankees have signed veteran Billy Crystal to a one-day contract with an invite to spring training.

Yes, that Billy Crystal.

From the press release:
“I’ve been waiting 50 years for this call,” Crystal exclaimed. “I’m overwhelmed by the generosity of the Yankees and Commissioner Selig. I know this’ll be tougher than the Broadway Softball League, but I’m looking forward to helping the younger players…which, by the way, is all of them. Oops, I have to go, Scott Boras is on the phone.”
...

“The Yankees are excited to welcome the newest member of our team known for his humor and wit as well as his undying love for the Yankees,” said Lonn Trost, Yankees Chief Operating Officer. “The Yankees are very grateful to the Commissioner’s office for allowing us to extend this special invitation to Mr. Crystal.”
Undying love for the Yankees, hmm? What about City Slickers?
That's what I thought.

The Mets should sign Jerry Seinfeld in retaliation.