4/1/08

The importance of one game

April Fools Free Post.

Yesterday was obviously Opening Day and I, like all other fans, was very excited. Sure, the baseball season was kicking off for the New York Mets, where players and fans alike could begin to forget about the collapse of 2007.

I think my excitement went beyond just opening day. Last season, we realized how important each game really is. After falling into second place by one game, one measly game, we now know that each game, be it at the beginning of the season, right after the All Star Game or September 29th, each game could be the make or break point of the entire season.

I thought I might be a little ridiculous with my cheering and excitement over the first victory of the season, but now I realize how much each game really means. The Mets can never take a day off and say "Oh well, just get them next time," because there may not always be a next time.

Each game is equally important and crucial to the season, something we learned very vividly last year. I'm beginning to put the '07 season behind men, but I will always remember how important one game can be.