5/19/08

The blown call and it's ripple effect

Bob Davidson, the home plate umpire in last nights Subway Series finale admitted he blew the call of Carlos Delgado's home run.

From ESPN:
I (expletive) it up. I’m the one who thought it was a (expletive) foul ball. I saw it on the replay. I’m the one who (expletive) it up so you can put that in your paper," Davidson said. "Bolts and nuts, I (expletive) up. You’ve just got to move on. No one feels worse about it than I do.
Well...I think the rest of New York actually took it better than Davidson. I am glad that he realizes it though and is man enough to admit his mistakes.

Also, I am glad Willie Randolph argued, as I mentioned last night. I'm very surprised by Randolph's comments today, claiming it's not worth getting throw out of the game just to appease the fans and possibly rile up the team. Jerry Manuel took care of that for him, and got ejected.

Randolph isn't willing to sacrifice his ideals and stance on managing baseball games, even if fans and the media are calling for his head. Last night, the awful announcing team of Jon Miller and Joe Morgan mentioned a Ryan Church quote about Randolph and Manny Acta.

Church said that both Randolph and Acta are not the in-your-face-for-TV types, like Jim Leyland and Ozzie Guillen, but if needed, behind the scenes they will get in your face if your play warrants it.

Good. Very good.

It's too early to call, but this team might just be on the right track again.