2/15/09

K-Rod says what he needs to say

Here we go again.

In 2009, the player to step up and say the Mets are the team to beat is the new guy, Francisco Rodriguez.

Via David Lennon:
"This is a different year, a different ballclub now. We've just got to go out and compete. Like I said before, I don't want to make no controversy. But with this ballclub, the way I see it, with those guys, me and J.J. Putz and the other acquisitions in the bullpen, I think now I feel like we're the team to beat."
Good for him.

A player on every team with a fighting chance is going to come out and say those words. Everyone thinks they're the team to beat, and why shouldn't they?

If a player came out and said, "Yeah, we'll probably finish in third this year. We're just mediocre." He'd be in the managers office quicker than you can say "team chemistry."

I like that K-Rod has stepped up, being the fresh face, and taking a stand for his team already. He's been around his fellow players for 72 hours and he's already up to defending them. I hope he's a true thorn in the side for the rest of the NL East for more than just words.

I can't wait to see him pump his arm in victory on Opening Day. And then again for the first game in Citi Field.

Come on, Mets. This year, show everyone that you actually are the team to beat.