2/16/09

Pudge-y

The rumors have been swirling that the Mets are setting up to trade away Ramon Castro.

They're trying to shed payroll, it seems, and they're confident enough in Robinson Cancel that he can serve as a competent backup. Still, though, Ivan Rodriguez continues to lobby, and find ears, with the Mets.

According to Pudge, he will sign with one of three teams: Mets, Marlins or Astros.

Pudge said, via Mets.com:
"I'm in great shape," Rodriguez said. "Whoever gets me, it's going to be a lot like hitting the lotto. I'm back in the shape I was in 2004. I'm at 195 to 200 [pounds], and I'm ready to go."
Being in great shape doesn't mean you can hit, though.

First of all, I don't quite understand the trading of Castro. He's not terrible as a backup and as long as he's healthy that's all the Mets really need him to do. We all saw last year, when the Mets were struggling to keep any catcher on the field.

Secondly, if they do trade Castro, why would they sign Pudge? He's likely going to cost more than Castro's earning ($2.5 million) and would want to start over Brian Schneider.

There are no positives to bringing Pudge in. Please pass, Omar.