5/13/08

Classless Nats

I'm usually not one to put a whole lot of stock into quotes as they are usually that same darn thing every time. "We just didn't hit." "Great pitching performance beat us." "I really felt it tonight." And so on and so forth.

Once in a while though, someone comes out and really says how then feel.

I present to you, Nelson Figueroa on the Nationals dugout antics, via Kevin Devaney:
“They were cheerleading in the dugout like a bunch softball girls. I’m a professional just like anybody else, so I take huge offense to that. If that’s what a last-place team needs to do to fire themself up, so be it. I think they need to show a little more class and professionalism. They won tonight but, in the long run, they are still who they are.

“Even for the manager and the coaching staff to let that stuff carry on, it’s truly unprofessional. That’s why they are who they are.”
Amazing. Not only calling out the players, but the coaches too. It might have been a bit of frustration on Figueroa's part, as he got tagged for six runs (four earned) in only five innings, but it's good to see some emotion!

Pay attention, Willie Randolph. There are faults with you, and I usually don't think they're glaring, but the lack of emotion, even to the press, is getting boring. Show some fire, just once, so I'll know you have it in you.

Round of applause to Figueroa for this quote and for calling out an entire team and it's staff. I like it. I smell a brawl tomorrow.