5/22/08

Pedro playing at least two more years

Even though he said he was considering retirement after this season earlier this week, Pedro Martinez now claims he wants to play at least two more years.

From ESPN:
"I feel great physically and for the record I haven't considered retirement. Retirement would only take place if my arm is badly hurt and if I have to face surgery or something near that nature," Martinez told ESPNdeportes.com
Unfortunately, I highly doubt he'll be going it with the Mets. I could see the team picking him up for another year, or even two, but he has to truly prove he's still got it and can stay healthy. But again, I doubt it will happen.

Here is something to be happy about, again from ESPN:

"I'm completing the workouts and doing a great job. My arm feels excellent and the speed is showing, throwing well over the 90 miles-per-hour mark," Martinez said.

Great news. Just stay on track and stay healthy. This team needs his charisma and character back in the clubhouse and his talent on the field.