5/24/08

Willie sees it coming

And how couldn't he?

But I feel bad for the Willie Randolph. He's a good (not great) manager and has been unlucky enough to be handed a team mostly of veterans who have been oft injured and declining in talent. The sprinkling of youth on the team has been good, but inconsistent.

From a Bart Hubbuch article in the Post:
In another sign that he realizes the end could soon be near, Randolph used some dark humor when talking about [Omar] Minaya's arrival.

"I thought I saw him in the back sharpening his machete," Randolph said. "I don't know if that feels too good. He saw me coming, so he kind of slipped it in his back pocket. I don't know if that made me feel better."

Later in a rambling, 20-minute interview, Randolph seemed resigned to his potential fate when asked about the ominous timing of Minaya's unexpected visit. Randolph even described Minaya's public voicing of support as "the kiss of death."

"I'm just so hell-bent on winning the game right now that whether Omar is here or not, whether they support me or not, is irrelevant really,"

Randolph said. "It's going to be what it's going to be. I'll go down to the last day trying to win a ballgame.

That's why I'm here. That's why I came here. All that stuff is out of my hands."

Oh boy. That is both sad and good at the same time.

The guy just wants to win, and he is "hell-bent" on doing it, something I never expected to hear from Randolph. Yes, this might just be his last ditch effort to stay employed, but I feel this is something he truly believes, just doesn't show it.

Today's win was nice. Solid all around, as I said, but it's only one win and this team needs more.

Let's hold off on judging one way or another for now, but everything must be kept on a short leash.