8/19/08

Gotta love the fire in Jerry Manuel

Jerry Manuel was tossed again yesterday, and I couldn't be happier. Most times a manager is tossed, the team responds with some action. Unfortunately, that did not happen for the Mets.

I do like the fire in Manuel. He seems to be very engrossed in the game, and very willing to stand up for his players. He's already been ejected four times as the manager of the Mets, and once more as bench coach when Willie Randolph was still around.

I absolutely love Manuel as a manager. If it were up to me, I'd have him signing on the dotted line for a few more years of Manuel as a Met.

He's candid with his players. If he has something to say to someone, he'll tell them. He won't dance around it for fear he will make them unhappy. He knows they are professionals and should be treated as such.

He can manage the team. Only on a few occasions have I been confused or mad about moves Manuel has made during the course of a game. There were a few bullpen decisions I wish he did differently, but I can't put all of the blame on him for some poor outings.

And most importantly, he knows how to handle the media. He doesn't fear the journalists like a certain previous manager seemed to. He's entirely candid and up front about things and won't pull punches. He knows what's up and he's willing to entertain the writers, radio, and TV guys with a few jokes while he's telling the straight truth.

So far, so good with Jerry Manuel. It sure does help to have a winning record and sit in first place, too.