8/26/08

Obligatory instant replay post...Obligatory instant replay post

See what I did there?

Various sources are reporting that Major League Baseball will institute instant replay this season, as early as Thursday.

The replay will only be used for home run calls, i.e. to see if a home run is fair or foul, or if it cleared the wall or yellow line.

I don't know how I feel about this yet, but I think MLB rushed to get this in too soon. It should have been tested in the offseason and in spring training, not tossed into the end of a season. I could easily see it coming back to bite the Mets, as they were part of the outcry when Carlos Delgado's home run at Yankee Stadium was called foul all those months ago. I bet the Phillies will get a favorable call off replay against the Mets. It's only fitting.

Too quick, MLB. Too quick.