8/20/08

Post: Mets sign Al Reyes

According to Joel Sherman of the Post, the Mets have signed recent free agent, Al Reyes.

Reyes was cut free by the Tampa Bay Rays just the other day.

More on this when I get home.

5:56 pm: OK, now I'm home and I've had time to digest this signing.

I think it's time for me to make a mental switch. A few days ago, I was confused why the Mets would add a guy with a over-5 ERA in the bullpen. Now, at least in the last few days, I see what they're trying to do.

They want to catch lightning in a bottle, and the best way to do that is have as many possible lightning emitters as possible. The idea is that they will have so many pitchers in the bullpen, one of them has to get hot and perform for them.

Reyes is expected to join the Mets after the September first 40-man roster expansion.

Sign away, Omar. Anyone and everyone. Bring them on, especially if they're named Reyes.