8/1/08

Why would a Mets fan purposely wear a Yankees hat?

The scene: Thursday afternoon, 3:50 train out of Penn Station. I'm on my phone trying to keep up with the madness that was the Jason Bay and Manny Ramirez trade. Sitting a few rows ahead of me in the other row, two guys in their mid-20s discussing the trade deadline.

One guy (Guy #1) is devoid of any sports paraphernalia. The other guy (Guy #2) is wearing one item belonging to a sports team, but more on that later. I overhear them wondering what is happening with the trade deadline, so being the helpful and gregarious guy I am, I offer my knowledge to them.

(Side note: At this point in time, it was believed that Jason Bay was going to the Tampa Bay Rays)

I tell him, "Hey, not to intrude, but rumor has it Jason Bay is going to Tampa."

"Oh, really! That's crazy," Guy #2 responds.

I look up, and perched upon Guy #2's head, is a well worn Yankees cap, fitted. I offer my condolences, "Yeah, that's not going to be good for your Yanks! The Rays just got a lot better."

Guy #2 looks confused. How could I know that he's a Yankees fan? He then realizes that he's wearing his Yankee hat and I'm not a psychic. He laughs. "Oh no man, I'm a Mets fan, I just wear this hat."

Now I'm the one that's confused. I stare at him. He laughs. I try to fake a laugh. My mind is racing.

Why, on all of God's green earth, would a Mets fan willingly and lovingly wear a Yankee hat?

Guy #2 thanks me for the info, and turns back to his friend. I nod, but also throw him a suspicious glance.

This man is a traitor.

He is not one of the blue and orange pride. He's a closet Mets fan, one who would rather seem "cool" and sport our crosstown brethren's cap instead of showing his pride for the team from Queens.

This man was no fan.

Be wary, folks, for people like Guy #2. There are more of them out there. Fans who don't think the Mets are good enough for their fashion choices, yet claim to be fans. Fans who are too embarrassed to sport the interlocking N and Y, in blue and orange. They prefer white on navy for their outward appearance. Not good.

Any true fan would never be caught dead in another teams garb. It's your team or no team.

People like Guy #2 should never be trusted.