9/25/08

Beyond frustrating

Usually, I can bounce back from a loss rather quickly. Give me a few hours and my life snaps back into perspective.

Not this time.

Last night, the Mets had chances upon chances to score, to take the lead, to win the game. They had a perfect opportunity to pick up a full game on the Phillies and to keep some distance between them and the Brewers.

But no, they let them slip on by. It must sting for the guys, but it stings even more for a fan. I was getting text messages from friends along the lines of "That's it...I'm done. See you next year," "The Choke of 2008," and "This team #$%&*@# stinks!"

I agree.

It took me a while to sit back and move on from the game. It's sad, that I take a game like this, one I have no hand in, this hard, but it's how I am. It's how I've always been.

I'm a competetive guy by nature, so when I get on a field to play, I switch from generally happy-go-lucky, to fierce competitor. The same thing happens when I watch a game. I get engrossed in the action on the field and by the end, I'm practically pleading with the team to score, hold off the opponent and just plain win.