9/25/08

Give me a break, Baumbach

"The challenge for the Mets in the next four games is to find a way to make the playoffs despite one of the least reliable bullpens in the history of contenders. The challenge for their fans is to fill Shea Stadium and hold back on booing.

Which of those scenarios is more likely to happen?"
-Jim Baumbach, 9/25/08

What else do you want us to do!?

We've watched our team fall apart, piece by piece, for the second season in a row. They had a 3.5 game lead with two weeks to play, and now we're battling to make it into the playoffs via the Wild Card.

And you just want us to sit back and applaud all these wonderful performances?

I guess if you want to be controversial, you can write what you want, but it's absolutely absurd to expect fans to sit back and watch a four run lead slip away. To entertain the fun experience of having a runner 90 feet away, and nobody out, and not be able to score for three straight innings.

Sure. Yay. Go Mets. Woo.

No, I will not do that. I will have my voice be heard. If I was at the game last night, I would have booed louder than anyone else there. There is a point at which you should cheer, if there is fight, if there is heart.

But I saw none of that last night. Last night I watched a few players really attempt to help the team, and the rest of them fail.

If they wanted it bad enough, this game was there for the taking. But the Mets watched it pass them by.

And for that, they should be booed.