9/25/08

Comment: About last night

From a faithful friend and commenter, Paul Mannino...

Much like Glavine's performance last year, I think that might have been Ollie's tryout for being re-signed. I was looking at the free agent pitchers, though. And he is still the youngest "proven" commodity. I don't know...

I think the same can be said for tonight. Too many people rolling their eyes over a Haren vs. Pedro match up. Pedro can either bring it or flounder. And, again, whether it is right or not, I think that this start (almost on its own) will determine whether or not the Mets get creative about pursuing him past 2008.

I so badly want the poetry of Pedro stepping up. That sense of vindication that I felt yesterday when Delgado hit that grand slam (and all the boo birds went away)...oh, I wish Pedro could have that. I would love for him to go out a champ.

We floundered for so long in mediocrity. Pedro ushered in that era of relevance. It would only be fitting for him to get into a classic pitching duel with a pitcher who could be his grandson. Whizzing a myriad of pitched at flummoxed Cubbies. Yeah, don't forget, Andy, sports are about dreaming too!

And believing. Maybe I'm just the faith guy. But, I still see this happening. How beautiful would a one-game playoff be in the last game at Shea? Oh...wow. We're on-line for that right now. I will get nervous when we are on the outside looking in. We're not now.

Am I aggravated? Yeah.
Do I hate the bullpen? Yeah.

I am a Met fan. Tried and true. Sometimes I think the "true"-ness comes from the "try"-ing. So...we're in trying times, but we are not finished or dead. Shoot, we don't even stink. We just need to play even with the Brewers for the rest of the week to have an awesome Shea farewell moment.

That's what I'm hoping for now. Screw the Phillies. They've already proven that they don't know what to do with a division title (sweep to the Rockies?). So...let's have a fun week against the Brew Crew!