10/11/08

I miss Uncle Cliff

Cliff Floyd was easily one of my favorite Mets. I don't know of anyone who didn't like him. He looks like a big ol' teddy bear.

That's why I want the Rays to win.

Yes, they have Scott Kazmir, and it stings to watch him pitch and prosper with the Rays and not the Mets, but I want Uncle Cliff to win.

I'll never forget that game against the Angels, in the bottom of the 11th inning, with Cliff Floyd at the plate. Tie game, and he rips a ball to right field, but it hooks just foul. The very next pitch: crushed over the right field wall to win the game.

Truly a great moment. I was sad to see Floyd go, especially with all the injuries. But Floyd has really helped the young Rays, and acted as a leader through the season.

Go Rays, but more importantly, go Uncle Cliff.