11/18/08

Poll: Be wary of Oliver Perez

The results are in!

In my latest poll, I asked if you think the Mets should sign Oliver Perez. Here are the results...

Yes, but be careful -- 56%
No, too inconsistent -- 28%
Yes, pay him what he wants -- 8%
No, too expen$ive -- 7%

I voted "Yes, but be careful." He's a Scott Boras client, a lefty and fairly young with a proven MLB record. All of that means he's going to demand the big bucks. He is pretty inconsistent, and it's been maddening over the last few years to watch a guy with such talent struggle against teams like the Washington Nationals.

I'd like to see him back. I love the hop-skip over the first base line, along with his pitching prowess. I think he started to blossom under Dan Warthen, which was something I did not expect.

If the Mets could lock him up for four years, I'd be happy to see that. They need to fill two holes in their rotation, and plugging it with a talented lefty can't hurt.

Next poll: K-Rod, Fuentes, Jenks, Wood or Other??