12/24/08

Report: Mets, Lowe close on three- or four-year deal

According to Major League sources, the Mets and free agent pitcher Derek Lowe may be very close to coming to term to a contract. The deal is rumored to be either for four years or three with a vesting option.

Boy, that vesting option sure is getting a lot of use these days.

The money could reach around $14-16 million per year.

Doing a little computing, that comes to (on the Lowe-end (get it?)) three years, $42 million and could reach all the way up to four years and $64 million. I'm guessing it will fall somewhere in between.

First of all, I think this would be a good signing for the Mets. They need this kind of grit and hard-nosed attitude in the rotation, and Lowe would bring that to the team. Secondly, I don't think I'll ever tire of all the time I will be able to use "Lowe" in puns and headlines.

Outfield assist to Ian from SOX & Dawgs.