12/11/08

Why I want to do what I do

Last night, or all of yesterday for that matter, was a very exciting time for me and the blog. It was great to cover things real time and feel like a real reporter, breaking news and all that. Ben Shpigel has a really awesome post on The New York Times Bats blog, only making me want to do what I do even more.

Omar Minaya was set to hold his daily briefing with reporters on Wednesday, but the phone rang before things got under way. Here's Shpigel's take:
Minaya’s daily briefing with the beat reporters was scheduled to begin around then in his hotel suite. Soon after we walked in and settled into the couches and chairs, a telephone in the suite rang. Minaya walked behind the couch where I was sitting to answer the phone. His voice lowered instantly, but I heard him say, “Uh-huh, uh-huh.” He mentioned something about “players who we’d get” and I heard him say, “Heilman.”

He told the person on the other line that he’d get back to him and hung up. Then he asked John Ricco, the assistant G.M., and Adam Wogan, the team’s director of minor league operations, to join him in an adjacent room. Minaya closed the door behind him, and they stayed in there for about 15 minutes.
That is just too cool.

Along with a few of my friends, I'm already planning a trip to Indianapolis next December to attend the 2009 Winter Meetings. Not only will it be awesome to cover them live, but it's also a great place to land a job with a team.