1/5/10

Quotes from the Jason Bay press conference

Jason Bay

  • "Thank you to Jeff and Omar and everyone else that made this possible."
  • "I'm grateful and honored to be here."
  • "I offer a fresh perspective as a little bit of an outsider."
  • "The Mets wanted me more."
  • "The money's nice, don't get me wrong. ... You still have to make a decision ... New York: It was the perfect fit for everything."
  • "Where you come up with Beirut, I don't know."
  • "Can somebody ask Omar a question?" (jokingly)
  • "I actually never hurt my shoulder. That thing took on a life of it's own. I had surgery in 2003 and it's been great ever since."
  • "I can play in the playoffs, I can play in this market."
  • "I'm expected to drive in runs. There's a lot of ways to do that."
  • "I don't consider myself a home run hitter, I pride myself on trying to drive in runs."

Omar Minaya

  • "We ask the fans to be patient."
  • "Jason Bay, when it's all said and done, does a lot of fundamental things right."
  • "I do anticipate Luis Castillo being our second baseman."
  • "2009 is over, 2010, for me, for all of us, we're looking forward to having a great year."

Jeff Wilpon

  • "Omar had a plan and wanted to get a power hitting outfielder. We looked at the spray charts and everything."
  • "We have to do what's best for the organization long term. ... We had a deal done Christmas Eve."
  • "Speed is not going to win this winter."