4/18/10

Davis likely coming up this week

The New York Mets plan for their first baseman of the future to be the man of the present, too.

Mets officials have resolved to promote heralded prospect Ike Davis to Citi Field this week, team sources told ESPNNewYork.com.

-Adam Rubin

Though I don’t think he should be called up for short-term benefits (selling tickets), I can’t be upset with seeing the future first baseman in uniform, possibly as soon as tomorrow.

I still think the Mets should call up Chris Carter, even if his glove is suspect.  Davis should be getting more seasoning in the minors and Carter is pretty expendable.  Everyone is just a placeholder for Davis at this point, what’s another stopgap going to hurt?  Might as well give Carter a shot before Davis, unless the team will be OK if Davis struggles – which I doubt.

In short: I think the Mets should call up Carter first, because there is less riding on his succeeding.  But if it is Davis’ time, I guess it’s their call.